*This is not a remote or work from home position.*
ABSOLUTE NEW YORK - PR Specialist
As a PR Specialist, you’ll serve as one of Absolute New York’s spokespersons—responding promptly and resourcefully to daily inquiries from print, broadcast, and digital media.
By forming and cultivating strong relationships with members of the media, you’ll reinforce Absolute New York’s role as an emerging beauty brand in the competitive beauty industry.
In this role, you will:
- Prepare strategic plans, contribute to coverage and activity reports, train and prepare executives for media engagements, and serve as a counselor to internal partners.
- There will also be opportunities to put your strong writing and critical thinking skills to use by developing content, from pitches to press releases.
- Respond promptly to daily inquiries from the media—including wire services, bloggers, beauty websites, newspapers, and personal health/wellness publications—and act as an accessible, responsive, credible, quotable, and resourceful spokesperson. Handle incoming calls in a timely manner and provide clear, candid, and accurate statements and/or background information to the media. Employ persuasion and influence skills effectively to: 1) maintain Absolute New York’s image and reputation among media and shareholders; 2) promote Absolute New York’s products and services; 3) advance Absolute New York’s business and communication goals.
- Develop and strengthen working relationships with members of the media, as well as identify and cultivate new press contacts. Maintain regular contact with reporters and editors via phone, e-mail, and face-to-face meetings and visits. Plan and research story ideas to proactively pitch to media representatives.
- Develop and maintain effective, strong, collaborative relationships with team members, internal business clients, management personnel, marketing colleagues, ambassadors, members of senior staff, as well as external vendors and influencers, in order to develop, plan, and execute media activities.
- Provide sound and reasoned counsel to management and business clients on public perception and business issues. Identify media issues and develop strategies and tactics for obtaining positive media coverage and mitigating adverse publicity.
- Keep abreast of industry trends, market activity, and regulatory changes and develop appropriate responses.
- Research and prepare press releases and other press materials, including statements, Q&As, backgrounders, pitches, fact sheets, press kits, bylined articles, and other materials that are highly professional, effective, creative, and accurate.
- Participate in special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
What it takes:
- Undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, PR or related area of study required.
- Minimum of 2 years of PR experience, either at an agency or in-house required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and independently on multiple projects.
- Proven ability to explain complex subject matter in plain English.
- Knowledge of beauty industry.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to write quickly and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to "cover" corporate events outside usual business hours.
- Fully covered medical and dental insurance.
- Catered breakfast every Wednesday and Friday.
- Company dinners and events throughout the year.
Job Type: Full-time